[geeks] Plasic casings

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jan 22 18:05:29 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 06:58:16PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 22, Kris Kirby wrote:
> > >   They're commonly known as Santa Claus machines.  There was one at a
> > > surplus place that I used to go to a lot, but there were no docs
> > > available.  It was very tempting otherwise.
> > That phrase evokes from my settled memory an article by Don Lancaster, The
> > Hardware Hacker. His was using motors, all motors... no lasers at the
> > time. (Mid-80s)
>   Yes, his design uses a hot-glue gun if memory serves.  An excellent
> idea.  Very similar to modern production units, actually.

Are these the things I remember using (for $1, I think it was) at the zoo in
the early 80s to get a little plastic molded elephant, tiger, etc?  You'd put
your money in, the mold would close, plastic would be pumped in, and about
60 seconds later you had a hot little molded plastic animal.  Cheesy, but a
fond childhood memory.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford