[geeks] personal mail handling

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jan 22 04:39:12 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:17:49PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> I know many of you use IMAP for email access.  I'm considering moving
> to a more centralized system here and I'm wondering why IMAP works
> for you and how you have your system setup otherwise.  Do you have
> multiple workstations and (a) central server(s) for mail/files/etc or
> do you have a central workstation that you keep everything on or
> something in between?

I'm an IMAPper.  I run an imapd alongside my smtpd.  That box is backed up
four times daily by rsync-over-ssh to another box.  For consistency, I
always read my mail through IMAP, even if, like now, I'm logged in on
that box.

The really nice thing about IMAP is the support for disconnected operation
and synchronisation.  Trouble is, I know of just one client which supports
that well.  The registered version of Multimail for the Palm.

Usenet is a co-operative venture, backed by nasty people.
Follow the standards.
  -- Chris Rovers, in the Monastery