[geeks] Plasic casings

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jan 21 13:10:09 CST 2002

> I've got an SBC that I want to encase in plastic for mounting.  I've
> never done any plastic work before (I'm not a bad wood worker though
> I'm sure its quite different) and I'm wondering if anybody has any
> recommended starting points.
>

>From what I've seen/read/heard, it's pretty easy.  A former co-worker used
to form plastic covers and stuff for various things, and suggests the use of
a mold, sheet plastic, and a heat gun.  Create a mold out of whatever you
want (wood, metal, fiberglass, not plastic) spray some light oil on it (he
says Pam works great :), lay the sheet of plastic over the mold, and heat it
up evenly with the heat gun.  It can be tricky, and your first attempts
might not pass muster, but once you get the hang of it, it's apparently
pretty easy to do.

Don't get the plastic too hot, or it can melt and bind to the mold.  Not
pretty, or easy to remove.  Steep angles and corners are also very tricky,
from what I've been told.  Dunno how you'd make a box, but I suppose it
could be done in pieces and welded together...

Never done it, YMMV, all hear-say, etc...

Kurt