[geeks] GEEK OUT

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 19 12:38:49 CST 2002

On January 19, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> That's must be the coolest job!  I love astronomy - I can't afford to do it
> myself (that and I live in the 'burbs, too much ambient light).  Carl

  Nononono...'burbs are not as much of a limiting factor as everyone
seems to think.  In the absolute WORST of ambient light conditions,
you can get an LPR filter with spectral response designed to filter
out wavelengths generated by the mercury and LP/HP sodium lamps
typically used in cities.  A filter like that is expensive, but you
only have to buy it once.

  Several years ago, I went to a star party WITHIN WASHINGTON DC.  No
shit.  The viewing conditions were fine.  Of course it'd be better out
in the sticks somewhere, but there was plenty of good viewing going
on.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire