[geeks] Kickass monitors, on a budget?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Jan 19 00:40:53 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 18:56, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On January 18, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > >   Why not use a high resolution with a larger font?  Low resolution is
> > > NOT the right way to get big text.  Unless of course they're running
> > > Windows, which, as Sridhar tells me, you can't really DO that with.
> > > But if they're running Windows an unreadable font will be the least of
> > > their problems. :)
> >
> > Well, first off, they're using windows.  Don't even GO there Dave...  I
> > cannot find any programs that facilitate the use of the NAIC Stock
> > Selection guide that run on *nix, and that's about half of what my dad
> > uses the computer for.
>
>   I don't even know what the NAIC Stock Selection Guide is, so I'll
> defer to your judgement on this one. :)

Erm, I forgot my smiley faces the first time.  Here's some extras I had,
for good measure.  :-) :-) :-) NAIC is National Association of Investors
Corporation.  What they do is teach people the "right" way to invest in
the stock market.  Really sound strategy for evaluating companies based
on the things that matter, like management and financials.  I encourage
everybody who's got money they want to invest to look at their method
for choosing stocks, since it stacks the odds in your favor.

Once guppi (the GNOME Graphing program) is a bit more stable, I'll
probably try to build something based on that and gnumeric, just so that
I don't have to use his machine once a month.  :-)

> > Also, even just larger fonts doesn't help, as lots of things are broken
> > in that the fonts are part of the graphic, or something stupid like
> > that.  800x600 is a comfortable resolution for them on a 17" monitor.
> > Personally, I'd like 1280x1024 at 85Hz on a 17" monitor, or 1600x1200 on a
> > 17" LCD, but I can't find any designed for that.
>
>   Yeah the latter would be about perfect in my book...I think that'll
> be a while.

Before you can get one, or before one is available?  The first I
understand...  We spend about an hour at a couple of stores tonight, and
ended up getting a Samsung SyncMaster 760V.  It had the least "visual
defects" in the screen, was bright enough, and had high enough
contrast.  Every 17" LCD that was on display was 1280x1024. All of the
15" displays were 1024x768.  Weird.  My dad's notebook has a 1600x1200
display, and it's 14" or 15".  Dunno why that's not available on
consumer LCD displays.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.