[geeks] Proxies

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 23:58:51 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 07:03:09PM -0500, Ryn wrote:
> Does anyone use a HTTP proxy on there home network? I am contemplating using the
> squid.

I used to use Apache.  I never used squid.  I'm currently in the middle of
writing my own.  But, you don't say what your goals are.

When I used Apache, I just needed a straight proxy.  Most people that use squid
want a caching proxy, which Apache will also do, but not as well.  I used
apache because it just took changing 2 lines in a config file.

The purpose for writing my own is that I want to experiment with new caching
methods (I got some ideas for this when talking to a PhD who is researching
forgetfullnes) and also I want to capture more information about browsing for
other purposes.  It is a multiheaded project.  In some ways it relates to the
personable digital assistant mentioned recently.

So, are you asking if squid is the best, or are you looking for help, or what?

--
Joshua D. Boyd