[geeks] Kickass monitors, on a budget?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri Jan 18 02:18:13 CST 2002

Does anybody have any recommendations for a monitor?  Currently we've
got a 17" Sony Trinitron tube that's been in use for about 10 years now,
without a break of more than 2 weeks.  It now takes about 5 minutes to
warm up, if you're lucky, and sometimes, you won't get picture at all,
or the picture will be extremely "dim", even though brightness and
contrast are adjusted properly.  The guys at the local repair shop
couldn't do anything for it, although I think it's a component problem,
and that the tube is probably OK.

So, anyway, I'm looking to replace it, budget is something below $500.
Can I get a decent flat screen for that price (which would be ideal, as
we need the desk space)?  Should we look for a nice 19" CRT instead,
even though that's likely to eat up even more of our already limited
desk space?  Oh, I forgot to mention, this is for my parents, who's
eyesight is starting to go, so it'll be run at a rather low resolution,
so that they can read the text.  :-)  Thanks,
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.