[geeks] SGI plus MS eq what?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 17 19:25:01 CST 2002

> I think it's even simpler than that.  The graphics chipset manufacturer in
> the Xbox cut an IP deal with SGI.  It does not apparently cover
> sublicensees, like MS.  So MS negotiated a deal with SGI to make sure the
> Xbox IP was free and clear, and ended up BUYing instead of licensing.
>

> Just my interpretation and synthesis of the rumors....

Yeah - that's what I found out when I started to research the events.  Much
ado about nothing, apparently.

A co-worker sent a gleeful email around, getting all excited about Microsoft
buying up key portions of the SGI business.  One step closer to world
domination, yadda yadda yadda.  I sent him an electronic pimp-slap...

Kurt