[geeks] SGI plus MS eq what?

kurt at k-huhn.com kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 17 12:43:28 CST 2002

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 04:10:21PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> Why would SGI transfer patents related to it's products to MS?
>
> Why would SGI start making ill-fated x86 based workstations?
>
> Why would SGI start throwing around talk of ditching IRIX for Linux?
>
> Why would SGI make ANY bad business decision?
>
> I don't even ask anymore. Just accept.

I did a lot of digging on this iussue last night and came up with a
comfortable explanation.

Apparently, last year, SGI performed the following the transaction with MS:
http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2001/october/microsoft.html

The latest news from the Register failed to realize this for some reason.
It also failed to realize that SGI doesn't make windows-based stuff.  SGI
also is only part of a larger organization of bodies that develops OpenGL -
the register fails to mention this as well.

My main concern with the deal was that SGI had given away the family jewels,
when that just ain't true.  It appears to be a licensing agreement with MS,
allowing them to use certain technology without needing to worry about
ongoing licensing fees.  A one-time deal.

Unfortunately, the Register article was *extremely* lacking in detail.  We
have no idea what technology it was, what patents (if any), and what affect
this might have on SGI (if any).  It seems to be typical muckraking, without
much basis in fact and short on details.

At any rate, I understand the situation a little better now - and SGI
doesn't appear to have done anything particularly stupid.

What will MS do with this technology?  Who knows.  My guess is, not much.

Kurt