[geeks] Apache and xml

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:39:50 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:12:03AM -0500, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Anyone know how to get Apache to serve xml?

Just drop a .xml file in the proper folder and it will serve it.  Now, to get
Apache to serve it properly (meaning with the worrect MIME type might require
adding a line to the MIME types file, or using a wrapper CGI script (for
when you don't control the server).  I uonce used the highly secure (NOT)
method of http://lameisp/~me/xml.pl?page.xml where xml.pl just sent the XML
MIME type, then basically catted the file out to STDIO.  The problem with
this hack was that if could potentiall allow things like
http://lameisp/~me/xml.pl?/etc/passwd.  Of course, making a more sophisticated
version of the script would be easy.  I just didn't care.

--
Joshua D. Boyd