[geeks] 486 as router/firewall/server

Geek geek at geeksworld.net
Tue Jan 15 23:37:24 CST 2002

Well, I was going to lurk for a bit longer, but since Mr. Street decided to
mention me, I figured I would comment on this thread while making my first
post. I have a 486 that I am trying to get up as a firewall/router/server. I
have tried, and failed, in getting the two ISA NIC's working properly. the
first NIC is a 3Com Etherlink III 3c509b. The second is a D-Link DE 250.

I have tried to find Linux drivers, as I run Red Hat 6.2, and have failed
miserably, and my twiddling had led me to now need to reinstall. Here's the
catch. I don't have a CD ROM in the system, and the only other possibility
for install is FTP, though the NIC's don't want to be recognized. Either of
them. I have tried different slots, and other stuff like that.

Also, which of these OS's/version are best for router/firewall/server?
FreeBSD 4.3, Debian Progeny 1.0, Red Hat 7.1, or Caldera Workstation/Server.
I mention those because they are the ones I have burned already, and not
ready access to a burner(the one I do have is off site and not much chance
to burn there). Any and all recommendations appreciated.

Thanks, Dwight Wallbridge
Geek Blog online http://blog.geeksworld.net/
Hacks of an Abnormal Geek http://hacks.geeksworld.net
Comments, Statements and Arguments http://comments.geeksworld.net