[geeks] # of machines running currently

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Tue Jan 15 15:48:32 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 13:05, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:35:34PM -0500, Ross Alexander wrote:
> > For me 3 24x7:
> > Gateway 486 motherboard w/pentium 80(?) overdrive cpu running OpenBSD -
> > Firewall, NAT box connected to DSL & Cable modems
>
> How do y'all manage to get 486s going as routers?  My experience trying to set
> up my AST as a router was miserable.  I just couldn't get it work work with
> any 2 NICs at once (several off brand NE2ks, and 2 different versions of the
> 3COM 3c509).  After all that hassle I decided to just give up and buy myself a
> second NIC for a SS2, adding it was child's play.

I've not had any trouble with it, but I think the key is to hard-code
the I/O and IRQ's for any ISA devices.  Otherwise, you end up with
either the hardware (incredibly stupid and broken), or the kernel
(either Linux or *BSD, stupid by way of the hardware being stupid)
trying to figure things out, which just doesn't work.  I'm SO much
happier with my SS2/OpenBSD running as a firewall now.  The hardware is
absolutely rock-solid, and the software was easier to get going because
of it.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.