[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Craig Armour c.armour at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 14 00:14:59 CST 2002

> and as for the SSP - we looked at that. the only issue is that sun wants
> you to buy like a $12000 package.  I mean, come on. How many of you use
> the tape drive that came with your SSP package (and on your desk does not
> count :-)

The reason you have to fork out the complete package is 'cause you're
paying for the ssp licences and everything.  Don't do that, it's dumb (
which you've already realised.

the U5's already have the pci qfe's and the scsi cards etc... just buy
the T1's as upgrades for the U5's and swap the cards over.  Sun should
support it because it's the bits put together that have been qualified,
not the "package"

talk to you sales rep etc... they should sell you the upgrade.  if they
don't then they're being bastards.

Cheers
Craig