[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jan 13 22:21:52 CST 2002

How many machines do most people keep running in there house? I Think running
three
machines around the clock is bad.

Here's what I have running 24x7:

- Dual Pentium III 750MHz (Linux) - my main system
- Pentium III 500MHz (Linux) - my internet gateway/server
- Alpha PWS 500au (VMS) - my main VMS system
- AlphaStation 200 4/233 (Tru64)
- Pentium III 700MHz (Windows XP) - my VPN system for work, also
  works as an X terminal and VTxxx terminal (has an LK461 keyboard).
- Celeron 667MHz (Windows 98) - my wife's work system, also handles
  the FAX.
- DEC RaidArray 210 - this is a raid system attached to the PWS 500au
- InfoServer 1000 - serves CDs to the VMS systems.

My wife's system is in her office.  The rest are in the computer room,
along with an extra air conditioner that actually runs even in the winter.
I listed the RA210 and IS1000 since they do have a bit of processing power.

Not running 24x7, but running as needed:

- VAX 4000/500 (VMS) - my main VAX
- VAXstation 4000/60 (VMS)
- DEC dual HSZ40 controllers - will run 24x7 when I get new PCM firmware.
- Dell Inspiron 8000 - my laptop, which I use on the couch or bed.
- Alpha PWS 433a - really want to trade for an equivalent Sparc.
- DEC PDP11/73 - runs RT11, but I'd like to run RSX-11/M.
- DEC Pro-380 - runs P/OS.

Stored around the house:

- lots of stuff.

I have a DLT4700 library that I connect to whatever I am going
to back up.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net