[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Jan 13 22:04:31 CST 2002

Ryn wrote:

> How many machines do most people keep running in there house?

Right now, from the top of the rack to the bottom, not counting
networking equipment

Xyplex terminal server,
AMD K6-233 Linux firewall/web box,
Dual PIII-500 Linux box
SPARC Classic mail server
SPARCStation 5 being groomed for webserver duty

Next to the rack sits a MassStorage cabinet connected to an SS2 that
sits on top,

and next to that sits a Sun 3/140, witha Snap server on top of it.

Then there's the SS20 on my desk, and my wife's and the kids' Wintel
boxes upstairs.

They're all on almost all of the time, except the 3/140.

Not turned on or prominently displayed are 4 SGI Personal Iris machines,
a Next Cube, 2 AS/400's, and a mess of assorted peecees. According to
the deal I've made with my wife, they all work or could if I had all the
parts. No junk.

> I Think running three
> machines around the clock is bad.

Bad in what way? I host stuff for other people who collectively pay for
my netfeed and most of the electric bill. I'd say it's good.

---sambo