[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sun Jan 13 18:29:12 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 03:30 , Craig Armour wrote:

> Haveing the extra cache on the U2 is no good unless you're running
> applications which use that.  but *shrug*

Hmmm, you fail to consider the overall bandwidth of the U2 - it has far
more bandwidth than a B100, both for memory and I/O.  In addition, the
combination of 2x300MHz US-II's is quite a bit better than 1x500MHz
US-II.  Last I checked, anyhow.  Plus, the U2 can go up to faster CPU's,
expands to 2G of RAM, and can hold a pair of 36G SCSI disks inside.  Not
to mention the 4 Sbus slots.

U60 Turns it into PCI, adds DUAL Ultra/Wide SCSI, and 2 UPA video slots.
(and room for 1.6" high drives!)

Keep in mind that the B100 was designed to be a replacement for the
low-end U5, and the U2 and U60 were top-of-the-line systems.  This would
be why I have one of each in my den.

-Pete