[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

Craig Armour c.armour at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 13 17:30:11 CST 2002

Seems I was given some serious larting here

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, you wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 04:18:27PM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>>
>>>You are kidding right? Even a decked out Ultra 5 runs rings around the blade

I beg to differ.  On the pre FCS system (Beta), we were getting much
better performance out of the blade than a simalarily specced U5.  The
difference was the ide stuff mostly.  Yes the blade has less cache than
the U5, but it was a much better allround performer.  even with less
cache, we could compile things faster on the blade (500mhz vs 400 mhz ).
  We believed most of that was down to the ide on an U5 sucking harder
than an industrial strength hoover.

The Customer release may have been different who knows

the X1's are cute.  They have LOM and that funky smart id card.
Disposable Web servers, the whole unit is a FRU

the blades were getting better performance than the scsi U1's as well
with better throughput.

each to their own.  Don't be fooled by the PCI/ide/cheap ass workstation
look to them.  They are nice machines

Haveing the extra cache on the U2 is no good unless you're running
applications which use that.  but *shrug*

Cheers
Craig