[geeks] DNS Servers

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Jan 13 15:37:32 CST 2002

> Has anyone on the list played with Dan Bernsteins djbdns server?
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
>
> I am debating tossing Bind, and was curious what folks are using for cache
only
> name servers.

I use it for all the production domains, as well as employee domains.  It
"Just Works".

Coming from BIND I was a little confused at first - things didn't make much
sense.  For instance, you *must* have two IPs on a server if you want to run
both authoritative and caching name servers on a single server.  However,
once I read throught the docs, and began to understand DJB's methodology,
things made much more sense.

You can't think of DNS in the same way.  DJB dumped the whole idea of "zone
files" in favor of a single high-speed database format that contains all the
info for the domains that it is authoritative for.

It has it's quirks, but it's also very fast and very stable.  I now prefer
it over BIND.

Kurt