[geeks] DNS Servers

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Jan 13 15:11:16 CST 2002

[ On Sunday, January 13, 2002 at 15:18:13 (-0500), Ryn wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] DNS Servers
>
> Has anyone on the list played with Dan Bernsteins djbdns server?

Nope, I've never even downloaded it to look at it.

> I am debating tossing Bind, and was curious what folks are using for cache only
> name servers.

I only use BIND-8 for production cache-only servers.  It's the only
caching nameserver that has enough support for operational requirements
in any environment I need a caching nameserver in (eg. decent query
logging that can be turned on and off at a whim (without losing the
cache of course!), full tracking of where cached records were learned
from, and full statistics).  Not even BIND-9 is up to the job yet,
though BIND-9 does make a very excellent authoritative-only server, and
has management and security features superbly suited for auth-only use.

--
								Greg A. Woods