[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Jan 13 12:55:41 CST 2002

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> Ahh, but one with 2 procs is a nice system.  I find a 256M/Dual 75 SS20
> to *still* be useful, after all these years.

Sadly, the best use I have for one at the moment is as a triple-headed
Xstation, with the Intel box on the rack doing all the real work. If I
ever come across another Sun box that'll do two or more heads, the SS20
(with 4X 50Mhz procs) will move to the rack and pick up some server
function, probably all three channels of the MassStorage cabinet and be
$STORAGE_DUMP with a full complement of 9G narrow drives and the DDS2
tape drive. I may even consider moving my SCSI CD burner in there. Or
something.

I know an Ultra-2 would serve my desktop needs very well (don't they
have 2 UPA slots?), but can't spend even $500 (plus another $100 or so
on 2 cards to put in those UPA slots) on it right now. Laptop's much
higher on the priority list, and I could get a 1st-gen iBook for around
that price, if I had it to spend.

> The SS20 was an *amazing*
> system, easily one of the top 5 systems Sun made.
>
> IMO, those would be (in no order):
>
> Sun-2/120 (First "really useful" deskside Sun)
> Sun-3/60 (Kicked butt as a technical workstation - color, 24M of RAM)
> SPARCstation 2 (The SS1 made us drool, but the SS2 was truly ass-kicking)
> SS 1000 (Proved that MP was actually useful, and is still a good box
> with an SSA)
> Ultra-2 (Last, best desktop sbus system - and a great server as well.)

So where's the SS20?

---sambo