[geeks] XFree4, Wacom, and binary only video drivers

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 13 00:22:45 CST 2002

A few months ago, I asked about whether anybody had tried getting Wacom tablets
to work under XFree4 when using binary only video drivers (live the ones from
nvidea), since this was a highly problematic area under XFree3.3

So, I'm finally posting the followup for posterity.

I go no answers, so I just went and bought myself a cheap TNT2 card to try it
for myself.  The results are that wacom tablets do indead work just fine with
binary only drivers, or at least they work just fine with the nvidea binary
only drivers.

However, on the topic of these drivers, I find that they are no where near as
stable as the voodoo3 PCI drivers were.  Now XFree usually crashes at least
once a week which makes me so incredibly mad since I usually have dozens and
dozens of windows open after a few days and don't appreciate having them
killed, especially when I haven't exited pan recently (pan only records what
messages you read when exited properly.  If killed, all messages read since it
was launched are marked new again), or have 20 some mozilla windows open of
things to read, process, and sort.

So, I finally have decent 3D performance, but this just leaves me feeling even
more desperate for an O2 machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd