[geeks] MP3 in car

Jeff Borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 11 10:12:30 CST 2002

Hi folks,

In addition to being into old Sun gear, (Thank you Bill) I am also working
on a master's degree in Industrial Design at The Ohio State University. Part
of my studies relate to the creative act of designing from available
materials (junk (-: ). This idea is known as "bricolage" in the field of
anthropology and was proposed by Claude Levi-Strauss.

A contemporary example of bricolage is the phenomenal popularity of building
MP3 players into one's car. People are devising their own creations and
acting as the product designer. (as we used to do, before mass production)
People share advice and techniques through the web in a way that was not
possible until very recently. Part of my hypothesis, is that the web is the
main cultural medium for passing on a group's knowledge of toolmaking. I
know it sounds kind of obvious, but to my knowledge this topic has not yet
been looked at in this way.

If any of you have done this or know someone who has, and you or they would
be willing to do a phone interview about your experiences, please contact
me. I would also welcome any thoughts you all have to my ideas.

Thanks,
Jeffrey