[geeks] home equipment inventories

kurt at k-huhn.com kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 10 11:59:10 CST 2002

> Remeber, DVDs are just a particular form of MPEG2 stream.  And the
> quality put out by different MPEG2 compressors varies widely.  Further,
> you have to trade off between how much video you can have versus the
> quality (although I doubt  the worst DVDs I've seen were pushing any
> video length limits).  Finally, MPEG2 does have weeknesses.  Blocks of
> similar color (say because it is a solid color with shading variations
> across is), and dim lighting tend to be the main  weeknesses.  So, you
> get a movie that has lots of dim lighting, and it was apparently
> compressed using an inferior compressor, and you will find that the
> quality can be crap.  High action can also be problematic.

Interesting.  I believe you - but I must say I've never noticed it in
anything I own.  Like I said, I'm not a videophile - so perhaps I'm not
"tuned" enough to notice.  Either that, or everything I own on DVD was Done
Right...

> If you ever are creating any type of MPEG video for streaming purposes,
>  remeber, use lots of bright colors, and try not to have the action
> moving too  fast.

Good info.  I'll keep that in mind as I digitize the videos of my kids.

Kurt