[geeks] Email experts?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Jan 9 14:06:29 CST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Big Endian wrote:
> I have a machine that relays mail from our application servers to the
> world.  We need to be able to make user bound email (reciepts and
> confirmations and such ala ebay/amazon/etc) go out almost
> instantaneously.  However the other 66% of our traffic is bound for
> about 10 very overloaded domains in .gov land.  I'm trying to add
> priority capabilities to the mail queueing system.  The system needs
> to be scaleable to 300k total messages a day.  100k of those need to
> be gone within 5 minutes.

Sendmail does allow entire seperate queues to be used as of 8.12.x; the
example config I saw a while ago has examples for aol.com, yahoo.com,
msn.com, etc., but IIRC it only tunes the number of messages per TCP
session.

How I'd fix this is to relay $SLOW_DOMAINS (setup by hand) to $SMTP-OUT#2
(which may even be running on the same machine [warning: major hackery])
and have it queue every 5, 15, whatever.

-----