[geeks] emacs 21

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jan 9 11:27:19 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, January 9, 2002 at 10:55:55 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] emacs 21
>
> ... but why run emacs, to emulate vi, when I already have vi?

Once upon a time the reasons would have been many, but these days with
extended and extensible vi-like editors (eg. xvile), many of the
additional features once offered only by emacs are now also available
elsewhere.

Personally I rather don't trust any of the vi clones with my files.  I
know that nvi (the vi rewrite on *BSD), and GNU emacs are both well
tested in adverse conditions and I know exactly what to expect from both
should anything "bad" happen, so those are the only editors I use.
Given that if my fingers were to lean more to a vi persuasion I would
have to choose vi-mode in emacs over the likes of xvile.

--
								Greg A. Woods