[geeks] home equipment inventories

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Wed Jan 9 11:02:20 CST 2002

> In any case, the agent (Liberty Mutual *KICKS ASS* btw) asked what I
> had, I told her, and she said that they were covered for replacement
> value under our "personal possessions" coverage, which is about $85K.
>
> Sitting here, I dont think that the "rest" of our stuff, apart from
> the computers, is worth more than $10K (and this INCLUDES furniture).
> We just dont own that much stuff.  Lots of junk, but not much "essential"
> stuff.  All of our office furniture is Steelcase, but from the office
> surplus place down on 5th ($50/desk, $35/chair).  I dont own no stinkin'
> Aeron.
>
> For $50K, we could replace everything we own about 2-3x times over, and
> even then be at a higher "quality of stuff" than we're at now.

	Darn right... I'm practically praying my place burns down!* :) I'm
insured for $75k. While I have a few irreplaceable items, the most
expensive piece of furniture I have is the dining room table. $150 bucks
just about anywhere. :)
	I did declare my computer collection to be worth $15k when the
insurance guy asked. :)I think I high-balled that, but we had a
discussion of replacement value versus "real" value. His take on it was
that somethings, like "obsolete" computer hardware was ok to give a
replacement value for. Ie, an Amiga 2000 has no "better,
comparable" counter part on the market. While a PC can be bought of any
store shelf.

	Rick