[geeks] emacs 21

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jan 9 02:34:53 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, January 9, 2002 at 02:35:23 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] emacs 21
>
> Anybody else using this?  I just let dselect upgrade to it, and, well, it looks
> different.

Yes.  I've been an official pretester for quite some time now.  I've
been using it extensively (or at least the pretest versions) since early
August of 2000 (i.e. yes, for well over a year).

It's the first version since 19.34 that Kyle Jones, the author of
ViewMail, the mail reader I've been using exclusively for years, has
deemed really worthy of officially supporting (though I've been using it
continuously all the way through anyway, and VM-6.10 and newer
officially did "work" OK with 20.x, though that later grew to require at
least 20.4 or newer, and 20.7 if you did any long term use as VM
exercises the emacs garbage collector rather extensively)

I sure as heck wouldn't go back to 20.7 except under duress, and never
anything older.

>  They moved the buffers menu from its proper place, and shock of
> shock, there is a button bar.  Ack.

It goes away nicely if you don't like it:

;; Gerd Moellmann says that the menu-bar and tool-bar can be controlled on
;; individual frames by managing these frame-parameters: `menu-bar-lines' and
;; `tool-bar-lines
:;
;; however just blasting away the tool-bar completely seems best
;;
;; note the v20.* compiler will bitch about tool-bar-mode being undefined...
(if (elisp-file-in-loadpath-p "tool-bar")
    (progn
      (require 'tool-bar)
      (if (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode)
	  (tool-bar-mode -1))))		; major space waster!

--
								Greg A. Woods