[geeks] home equipment inventories

Ken Hansen n2vip at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 21:24:26 CST 2002

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 06:44 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:39:42PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
>> Also, how would you support your valuation - reciepts, current market
>> value, etc?
>
> I'm insured for replacement value.

I suspect this may be like collectable car insurance, you may need/want
to have a declared value - imagine this, your house burns down, you file
a claim, and the adjuster says "PDP-11/34s have no value, so no payment
for that loss". It may not be that severe, but in the *real* world,
things that we value get tossed as trash every day...

>> I suspect you may need a separate policy, because if the insurance
>> company finds out you run a business (sunhelp.org may qualify), any
>> claim for business equipment may be invalidated.
>
> sunhelp.org is separate, and for all intents and purposes is just a
> web site that sits on a machine (ohno.mrbill.net is the main server)
> at an ISP downtown.  Its completely separate from the stuff I have at
> home.  Plus, its 1. not an official company/organization and 2.
> I make no profit from it (far from it, in fact).

You don't need to make a profit to be a business ;^)

If it is "not an official company/organization" how can you prove that?
I am not trying to be argumentative, but honestly if it comes down to
your word against the investigators findings (you list it on your
resume, etc.), the guy with the checkbook may not agree with you... You
may want to define exactly what sunhelp.org is, so there will be no
question...

Just a few things to think about, I obviously don't know Texas insurance
law, nor anything about your policy/carrier, but I have friends in the
business and these are the things they tell me...

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com
n2vip at mac.com
Looking for something, try browsing