[geeks] Dell humor...

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 16:16:02 CST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Forget a 10k RPM drive, the 1.5Ghz CPU will more than make up for the
> economy 5400RPM drive...

Reminds me of the time I tried this program a guy had written under Linux
that was borking with size issues -- it wanted to bloat to 888MB per run
and the Linux machine wouldn't allow it.

I added my (2) 10KRPM Cheetahs to the swap list and ran the proggie with
384MB of physical RAM. On my machine, it finished each run in little over
five minutes. One of the Linux guys countered, running a later kernel on a
machine a little faster than mine (1GHz vs 850MHz), but with an IDE drive,
and the same RAM. 25 minutes per invocation.

Those drives, striped perfectly, sustain 30MB/s. Pretty good for HDs that
normally only do 12MB/s apiece.

-----