[geeks] geek trivia quiz

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 21:08:27 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:01:09AM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > You come across an ethernet cable (lets say gray) with pieces of yellow
> > shrinkwrap or tape on the ends about 1" from the RJ45 plug.  What is it?
> I'm going to guess it's a cross-over cable, but I'd check the pinouts
> (colors) first.

Yep!  I spent way too much time dealing with Ascend equipment (pipeline
50s and 75s) and the jacks on the back were color-coded, with the ethernet
jack having a yellow "ring" around it.  The corresponding cable was gray,
with yellow "markings".  It was a crossover.

I just wondered if anybody else instinctively thought "crossover" when they
saw such a cable.  I've taken to marking *mine* the same way, because I"m
so used to it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford