[geeks] OSX is going to ruin my life

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Feb 28 15:29:02 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:57:20AM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> -Mac Plus/SE: Compact macs that worked really, really well.

Don't forget the SE/30.  That one really stuck out as a major sucess in my
opinion.

> -Mac IIfx: 40MHz CPU/Bus in 1990...

I thought it was earlier than that...

> -Quadra 950: a true monster that could be both a server and a decent
> workstation

Makes the best Symbolics unit too, unless you can afford an XP1200.

> -Quadra 840AV: Doing video that is still cool today (only surpassed by the
> Amiga)

I'm getting a 660av, and I hoping to soon also get an 840AV.  I've ordered
a spigotpower av card, which is approximately D2 quality (think Video Flyer).

I'll probably be in the market for a jackhammer card, once I get my hands on
an 840av also (video array).

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be realistic to try and develop your own
AV code anymore.  This is dissappointing, since I really kinda like those
DSP chips, and I'd like to be able to port my color transformer code to run
on them.

> -Original Power Macs (NUBUS): Not only the first consumer RISC desktop,
> but damn fast for the time.

I really like nubus.  For one thing, lots of really good nubus cards are now
darn cheap.

--
Joshua D. Boyd