[geeks] comments welcome

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Feb 28 10:07:01 CST 2002

> I'm actually going back a bit in the thread.  Sugar is a big problem,
> especially in the US.
>
> An interesting comment was made in a book I recently read - the
> introduction of sugar was as probably as detrimental to the American
> Indians as the introduction of alcohol.
>
> There is refined sugar in damn near *everything* now...

I saw something on the Discovery Health channel recently about diabetes,
and how a particular Indian tribe in the Southwest suffers greatly from
it.  The problem, apparently, is a genetic inability to properly process
refined sugars and carbs - which, as you mention, is in *everything*
pre-made.  Apparently, when they revert back to a traditional diet, all
symptoms of illness disappear.  Problem is, you can't just go out and
kill your meals every day, and meat is expensive (as compared to say,
dinner in a box)...

I also read something last night about how fruit juice is one of the
worst things for kids to drink - as it is comprised mostly of simple
sugars.  Since the introduction of simple sugars, the percentage of
obese children has grown significantly (exponentially?).

Kurt