[geeks] Palm database update

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 27 13:53:22 CST 2002

This is so cool.

I wanted a way to do "nslookup" on my Palm (a non-wireless model). With 22
networks and over 1700 DNS entries at my company, I couldn't make a big text
file and move it to the Palm. I tried, but searches took forever.

So asked around and I found HanDBase for the Palm. It has a windows (or
linux) counterpart that runs on a desktop too.

I wrote a script that does the following on my linux machine:
1) a CVS update, to get the latest DNS info
2) strips out comment lines from the files
3) strips the IN and PTR (along with their tabs) from the files
4) converts the remaining tabs to commas
5) concatenates the files into one file
6) copies the bigfile to the working folder for HanDBase on my windows
machine

I then run HanDBase to convert the comma-delimited file into whatever
HanDBase uses. On the next sync, the database is on my Palm.

Now I can "resolve" IP addresses or DNS names on my Palm, and it never takes
more than 4 seconds.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751