[geeks] I never thought

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon Feb 25 14:04:55 CST 2002

on 2/25/02 3:10 AM, Dave McGuire at mcguire at neurotica.com wrote:

> On February 25, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>>> State governments get away with it all the time with compulsory car
>>> insurance.
>>
>> I wouldn't call that the same. I want other people to have car insurance. If
>> you crash into my car can you afford to fix it?
>
> I didn't poo-poo with the idea of having car insurance, I poo-pooed
> the idea of the gov't FORCING us to have car insurance.

The problem is that the people whom can least afford car insurance are the
same who can certainly not pay for your damages either, say you got a skull
fracture in a crash as the other guy's fault, say he does not have
insurance....

Anyway the point is that it is supposed protect other drivers. The sad truth
is too many poor people do not have insurance anyway. Why I am convinced
insurance companies are crooked bastards I look at car ins as those things
you just have to do like buying licsense plates and keeping the car in safe
operational condition.

I think a better analogy to the original point is the Gubbermint forcing us
to wear seat belts or helmets (on cycles)

> The people who don't buy it, and then crash into your car, deserve
> to take their chances with a very angry Big Mike when they can't
> afford to pay for the repairs.
>
> The gov't meddles FAR too deeply in our lives, in my opinion.

On this I am absolutely in agreement.

>> If the same result can be acheived with different software then why
>> shouldn't Josh be allowed to use or write his own? I also thing if you are
>> required to use a specific piece of software that should be included in
>> whatever course materials you must buy or should be supplied with the
>> course. I mean geez, if you go to an Oravle class and say gee I have to buy
>> Oracle, why can't I use my copy of mSQL??
>
> Agreed 100%.
>
> -Dave

Mike N