[geeks] grr paypal

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri Feb 22 16:12:20 CST 2002

I've used it for a while now, but because of my innate distrust
of institutions, I've done the following:

The credit card number paypal has is one that I use
_only_ for paypal. I've had the limit lowered to the
smallest amount the credit card company will allow,
to reduce my liability.

The checking account # I gave them is used _only_ for paypal.
It has an almost-zero balance. My credit union allows me to
have more than 1 checking account, so this works out fine.
I also requested them to disallow overdraft protection on
that account... again, my paranoia at work.

I _Never_ keep a balance in my paypal account.  When I purchase
something, I do a funds transfer to the dedicated checking
account, and then process the paypal transfer. A little more
complicated, but well worth the peace of mind.

Of course, I haven't tried selling anything (and receiving
payment) yet, so I don't know how that works with them.

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com