[geeks] Kids and computers...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Feb 19 17:55:52 CST 2002

[ On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 at 17:37:57 (-0500), s at avoidant.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Kids and computers...
>
> Hrm. Nice idea, but I don't have any xterminals laying around. I suppose
> I could load linux or one of the BSDs for them on their peecee hardware,
> but I challenge you to help me find decent educational softwazre for
> kids that runs on either unix or one of the free implementatios thereof.

Squeak runs fine under FreeBSD or Linux, though not as well in terms of
multimedia support as it does under MacOS.

> If your friend has some, ask him to contact me, please.

search ebay for NCD, HP, DEC, and Tek xterms.  they're often a dime a dozen

I don't think we have any spares, and they have very heavy and
impossible to ship 19" monitors anyway.....  :-)

>  I've been unable
> to find anything to even compare with Reader Rabbit and the like.

Oh, you mean educational software!  ;-)  there are lots of creative
things a pre-schooler can do for fun with any text editor or any
graphics editor....

Why when I was a kid I was happy to play with static physical toys that
had far more limitations imagination-wise than any graphical interface!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods