[geeks] Kids and computers...

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Tue Feb 19 16:52:59 CST 2002

On 2/19/02 9:56 AM, "Peter L. Wargo" <pwargo at basenji.com> wrote:
> This incident brights to light something I've said many a time to
> people: Why do you let your kids use your computer?  I had a co-worker
> who really wanted a Mac, but was worried that the kids couldn't continue
> to sign out games from the library and run them at home.  I told him
> that was GREAT!  Get 'em a playstation!

Well...  When I was 12, I learned Perl, and I didn't care about whatever
Nintendo had out at the time.  Had my parents said "don't use the computer"
that task would have been a bit tougher to do.  Assuming all kids do what
their parents say:  They won't touch it.  They won't know how to use it.
They won't know junk about it when they need to use it.

There are good points and bad points to everything; only look at the bad
points, and all you'll see are the bad points.  But there are good points
(like a kid who knows perl at 12, and knows his way around Solaris pretty
well too.

*shrug* I'm not going to tell anyone how to parent, I'm just pointing out
another example.

-Jonathan