[geeks] Kids and computers...

S. Gwizdak wazm at rm-f.net
Tue Feb 19 16:03:05 CST 2002

> Counterpoint: We need computers for the parents and computers for the
> kids.  How else can we cultivate the passion that many of us have for
> computing?  It starts at an early age.  I had a computer lab in my
> elementary school (2nd grade).  We learned procedural logo and basic.

I mentioned in another message that kids should only be allowed to play
games that they've made. This may seem harsh and impractical, but
their are computing environments designed for teaching programming.

http://www.squeak.org

It's a derivative of smalltalk. There's enough built in games and
toys for it to be entertaining, and quite extensible with just a
little bit of knowledge about computing. A great replacement for
what logo provided given multimedia etc.. and modern programming
practices.