[geeks] Kids and Computers

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Tue Feb 19 12:35:30 CST 2002

"James L. Rice" wrote:

> My kids get their own pc when they turn one.  I have some preschool
> keyboards (abcdef not qwerty)

I thought about this, but I think I'd rather they learn the keyboard
they'll likely keep using for a while. Unless they DO keep using the
preschool keyboard, in which case they're screwed once they hit school.

> and I image the hd with ghost.  If it gets

Good idea. Do you do backups regularly? I think I ought to start backing
up the Winboxes. But how would I restore them from the tape drive
downstairs?

> csrewed, I restore it.  I also tell them that if they touch mine (Sun,
> sgi, NeXT , BeBox, Mac or PC) I will break their little fingers off and
> feed them to the cat.

Um, not my place to tell you how to raise your kids, but isn't that a
little harsh? I've told my kids I'll take their hands away, but they
know it's a joke. Once I actually did tie knots oin my daughter's
sleeves, but that's about the closest I've come to such a thing.

> reinstall the os themselves anyway.  My 9 yo daughter is on probation at
> school for "customizing" the pc's in the computer lab.  Once more and
> she is banned.

By them or you? Personally, I think I'd be proud.

---sambo