[geeks] BOFH

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 07:59:08 CST 2002

On 18th Feb, 2002 Bill Bradford laughed heartily at:

> Everytime there's a crap BOFH column, he makes up for it.. and this
> one, I'm so tempted to print out at work:

> (altho, our DBAs are highly clued, but this makes me laugh.
heartily..)

> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net
> Austin, TX

I love the BOFH, but I've been in that DBA's place - the management at
my last place of work decided they would run their system on DB/2, but
that we could 'work it out as we went along' - moving up from SQL Sever.
Well, we managed to convince them to use a *nix system to host DB/2 on,
so on went Solaris, DB/2 and then we attempted to convert from SQL
Server to DB/2.

I know - it's not that good an idea.

So we re-wrote the tables in DB/2 and just attempted to input the
information from a comma-delimited file, and then import all the BLOB's
by hand (About 700 512KB+ Binary objects, some of them up to 400MB
(QuickTime .MOV's)).  It worked, but we never managed to get that system
properly working.  In the end, after about a month of us messing around,
we got a proper DB guy in, and he 'fixed' (Read, re-built the whole damn
thing from scratch) the system across four days.

I still don't know how to properly set up a DB/2 system :D

Peter Street
Web Developer / Manager
LazerFX Productions
www.lazerfx.co.uk (Under Construction)