[geeks] observations and rants.

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Feb 17 17:07:04 CST 2002

> This used to be the case at my current job, by a margin of 20%.  Something
> snapped inside $PHB, and now I make less (both in proportion to CEO
> and my previous pay) and get told that, after clocking out of a
> 93-hour-week I "really should start giving more of [myself] to [my] work".

This shows an obvious and glaring lack of respect for employees.  I would
have told him that I just gave nearly 100 hours of myself to my work, and
I'm sorry but I just don't have anything of myself left right now...

> I also got told that putting family first after the death of my aunt and
> paternal grandmother was "an unacceptable error in priority".  In front of
> my entire staff.

Oh dammit.  I'm so angry for you...  I don't have a smappy comeback for that
except the obvious explitive starting with the 6th letter of the alphabet.

I once told a senior VP to go eff himself in a very public parking lot -
after he berated my for not getting to Lowel, MA in a timely fashion (I had
just spent 4 hours in traffic, due to a car accident on rt495).  He actually
came at me red-faced and yelling - no request for explanaination.  At first
I had no idea who it was, and when I figgured this was a VP I turned on my
heel and started walking back to my car.  His first question was "where are
*you* going!".  I told him that I was going home, because I didn't feel it
necessary to put up with bullshit like that, he could go eff himself, and he
could go inside and explain to the client why no engineers would be there
today to fix the problems with their network.  (Lowell was about 100 miles
outside my service territory at the time, and was already doing the job of
three service guys)

Kurt