[geeks] Re: Geeky Valentine's day card

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Feb 15 11:49:05 CST 2002

 On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:01:30AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
 > ANy suggestions for someone who is mainly a systems person, does some
 > programming, but wants to really learn computers at the chip architecture/
 > assembly-language level?

"Computer Architecture and Vax Assembly Language Programming"
James Brink and Richard Spillman
Benjamin Cummings, 1987
ISBN 0-8053-8920-2

Is what I'm reading right now for essentially the same reason. I have a need to
pick up specifically Vax assembler, but the basic concepts apply to all
machines and the architecture sections of the book are quite good - as in, I
can follow them without a professor walking me through it. I found it in
Amazon's used books for $12.00, so it's very reasonable as well.

William