[geeks] What would cause this

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Feb 14 11:09:35 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Big Endian wrote:

> take the 2k machine, throw linux/bsd/solaris/etc on it and include a
> local caching name server.  This should help cut down the spurious
> dials.
>
> daniel

Hmmm DNS then?  Anyhow... I had FreeBSD 4.2 on that machine before.
Unfortunately it is set up perfectly right now and is one entire partition
NTFS.  It is also the best game machine (Half Life, HL Opposing Force, HL
Blue Shift, Gunman Chronicles, Nobody Lives Forever, Return to Castle
Wolfenstein, Diablo II Lord of Destruction, Spite & Malice, etc.) in the
house and therefore not going any free OS route at this time...such would
be a waste of good machine (i.e. I would have no use for it right now so
it would sit idle, and I spent a looong time getting the perfect video
driver set up for this older TNT1 in order to play the new games and not
crash with a BSOD too often.)  In the job hunt times, it pays to have at
least one de-stressing game box.

Andrew J. Weiss