[geeks] What would cause this

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Feb 14 09:36:35 CST 2002

I am looking for a no fuss way to stop my machines on my home LAN from
smacking the gateway and bringing up a link.  Right now I am using ICS
from Win2K.  The Mac only brings up a link during the boot of OS X (no it
isn't NTP... it's probably a Netinfo broadcast of some sort), but
otherwise the Mac and PC behave.  I have just added a Quadra 840AV running
Debian 2.2r3 and a Sparc LX running Sol 7.  I have isolated most of the
spurious dial requests to the 10baseT portion of the network containing
the two last machines.  I tried shutting off sendmail on the Sparc... no
dice... still getting dials.  I shut down the Quadra... no dials.... so I
know the Quadra is doing it.  I removed apache and also samba from the
Quadra in the hopes it would just sit there idle... it still wants to
connect every once in a while... any other things I should look for.  Yes
I know ideally I should have an older Cisco and define interesting
traffic, but I'm sort of unemployed.

Andrew J. Weiss