[geeks] Sun stuff on auction locally

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 12 17:54:19 CST 2002

On February 12, you wrote:
> The 630MP is something I lust after, but it is a VME bus machine and parts
> are fairly hard to find, except on the Sunhelp lists. It isn't very fast, it

  What?  VME and Sbus boards are all over the place.  The Sbus boards
are more common, and are almost always a better choice to run in a
4/600 anyway.

> isn't meant to be a workstation

  What?  Not only do they make great workstations, many (most?) were
sold with frame buffers, and targeted directly at the workstation
market as high-performance deskside machines.

> and is large/power hungry.

  What?  A 630 is large?  It's barely larger than an ordinary PeeCee
tower case, though much heavier due to actual METAL non-taiwanese
construction.  And they don't pull that much power...maybe twice that
of a big PeeCee.

> uncommon to find companies begging someone to haul them away for free, as
> they have almost no modern use and are expensive to send to the trash. One

  What?  "Almost no modern use"?  Time to pass the crack pipe.

> nice thing about this beast is that it is a multi-processor machine.

  Finally something accurate.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire