[geeks] recieved from a co-worker

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:46:54 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 06:39:05PM -0000, Peter Street wrote:
> I quite agree.  I've got a #60 (GBP) Hercules KryoII graphics card.  It
> runs 3DMark 2000 demo brilliantly - I've never seen water look so real,
> it's almost scary.  But I don't want more than that - it runs everything
> I've thrown at it at 1024x768x32bit at a reasonable playing rate, so why
> upgrade?
>
> Unless, of course, you are a figures nutter...

Or you have more to throw at it.  Quake3 only averages 10k polygons per frame.
Some of us have had numerous reasons to be working with hunreds of thousand
polygons, and would love higher performance so that the models aren't so slow.
And then, there is the ever greater need for faster shaders (for gamers who
want to think ahead a little) and more textures (for other people who work
with video, 2D graphics, and even volumetric 3d graphics).

--
Joshua D. Boyd