[geeks] DVDs

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Fri Feb 8 22:36:26 CST 2002

On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 11:30  PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Wont work with an IDE<->Firewire adapter?  Never had a problem with
> my Plextor CDRW in such a configuration..

Yeah, it wasn't to be on the local IDE bus.  iTunes/disk burner are
built to talk on the firewire interface to such adapters.  I think Apple
realized they weren't going to make big bucks on people buying apple
computers with Apple branded CD-RWs inside, so in iTunes 1.1 or
something, they added support for third party drives.  Apple figures
they can still make a nice profit on getting people to buy the higher
end boxes with Superdrives, so they make iDVD apple (or something that
looks a lot like the apple) superdrive only, and since apple's
superdrives are only IDE, iDVD only supports the superdrive on IDE.  I
think Firewire support for iDVD will come, eventually, just not until
Apple is forced to.

-Jonathan