[geeks] wild article

doctor obnox son of a bitch drobnox at visi.com
Fri Feb 8 16:23:23 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:12:41PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd had the audacity to opine:
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm
>
> Check that out.  Seems kinda far out.  I wonder how well it works, and if it
> can be applied to NetBSDs...
>
> Oops, you can't use pppd or rp-pppoe with this method.  Oh well.  Still looks
> nifty.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

  OK, a slightly different approach...instead of modifying the shutdown
  scripts, just modify the hell out of the startup scripts. Just start
  up the absolute bare minimum of kernel-space daemons, and unmount all file
  systems except the swap.  Configure syslog to log remotely.

  So all you'd have running would be sshd, syslogd, swap daemon, and
  anything else that the above daemons would need.

--

                            "Safety Third!"

Eric J. Gustafson                                   drobnox at visi.com