[geeks] Backup drives

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Feb 7 12:17:41 CST 2002

	Any and all,

	I am trying to work out budget requests for the next three years
here. Not your problem I know. What I could use some advice on is backup
systems. I need to figure a path for the next three years. We already know
that we need software upgrades and a system upgrade path. What I want to do
is offer several levels of tape backup drives that we can request. Currently
I run 2 Seagate Scorpion 4 tape DAT changers right now. By the end of the
week they are full and I have to change them for the weekend and then again
on monday.
	I am unfamiliar with the different drives available and plans for
utalizing them. Anyone got some suggestions? Scsi is fine as that is what
the system is using. This is an upgrade path to be sumbitted to the budget
committe so don't be shy about recomending bigger items. I would like to be
able to backup 100 gigs a week and go as long as possible before I swap
tapes again. Oh , and this is not my fault, the system is a XEON with
windows 2000 loaded on it currently running Veritas backup exec 7.3.

	Also if someone has a suggestion for good backup software other than
veritas I would appreciate it. We need to upgrade and they are asking $7k
for all the licenses we need. If I could find something that is capable of
backing up exchange 2000, SQL 2000, and Windows 2000 servers I would LOVE to
tell tehm to stick it in their ear.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO