[geeks] MIPSPro C and C++

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 4 09:59:38 CST 2002

> Ok, now, apparently I haven't completely installed the compiler subsystem,
> for trying to compile hello.c yields:
>
> cc ERROR:  cannot exec /usr/lib32/cmplrs/fec
>
> Which CD and package contains this?  (Irix 6.5)

That's the disc you actually have to pay for.  fec is in the "C
Compiler Front-End" package, which is "c_fe".  c_fe and related packages
are on the MIPSpro compiler CD.

If you don't have, and ever decide to purchase (or otherwise get ahold of)
that CD, you'll be able to truly admire SGI's evil nature--they give you
absolutely everything you need to compile C programs, -except- for the
front end and some man pages.  After all, the kernel has to be able to
relink and reassemble itself when you patch it, but they don't want -you-
to be able to create software without some heavy SGI pocket-lining.

At roughly $800 for 50MB (at least, the last time I called), including
patches, the price/megabyte ratio is probably near the top for a
single-user license of desktop software.  Maya probably beats it, though.

--Jonathan